Monday, December 15, 2008

a christmas story

i know you don't care for winter...
but darling, it's gorgeous out tonight
let's take a drive away from here
take my hand and i'll hold yours tight

you know how much i always talk
about my summers at the lake?
grand haven is pristine in december, too
you can look up and count the flakes

main street at christmas could be a postcard
currier and ives would love this town
we'll have dinner by the boardwalk
sip coffee and watch the elements swirl 'round

my grandparents have a beach house
its on the lake just south of town
two summers past they gave me a key
and told me to go if the right person came around

we'll i'm sure that you're that person
and you could spend an evening there with me
i'd bet sinatra's on the turntable
and from the living room it's white as far as you can see

if we're warm enough and you can see the pier
i'll tell you of my memories in the sun
at the same time we'll be making our own
you ought to know i cherish every one

as the fire dies down and we're fast asleep
we'll both dream about days to come
i'll hold you close and you'll think of me
and sleep tight knowing we're far from done

No comments: